Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Getting in the Greens

When I had my midwife appointment yesterday I mentioned how much I have enjoyed juicing.  She was happy to hear that and asked what I have been juicing.  I replied, "Everything!"

The great thing about juicing during pregnancy for me is that I know I am getting my greens in.  For my four previous pregnancies, I have had an aversion to vegetables.  Literally the only "green" I desired to eat was canned green beans; everything else made me gag.  I would dutifully take my prenatal vitamin but otherwise I felt guilty about how few veggies I ate.

I love the scene in Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead when Joe Cross shows a huge platter full of a colorful variety of vegetables and fruits; way too much for a person to consume in the whole form.  But with juicing, a person has the possibility of gaining the nutrients from a large amount of vegetables.

Leap Day Reap:
5 stalks of celery
1/2 head romaine lettuce
1 1/2 c. spinach
2 radishes
2 apples
2 pears
1 plum

No comments:

Post a Comment