Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Money Beets

A new year is a good time to try new things. Buying beets, for example. Even though the cashier at Krogers rang them up as collard greens, I am in no position to correct her. It was my first time buying them.



This morning I learned that beets are no joke. They are intense. My stained tablecloth, fingers and mouth can attest to that. My daughters couldn't resist trying this red, red juice.

And, as luck would have it, I ran into an expert juicer last night. She told me that juicing the long, stalks of greens at tops of beets is perfectly fine if you plan to drink immediately.

2 beets (greens and all)
3 carrots
2 pears
4 clementines (peeled)



Blogger's Note:  Although this is the exact recipe that I enjoyed, it should be mentioned that I did experience nausea for a couple hours after I posted this blog entry.  After some research, I believe the nausea was due to the amount of raw beet I consumed.  One blog I found lists side effects of too much beet consumption, and recommends 1/4 or 1/2 beet at a time.


No comments:

Post a Comment