Monday, April 2, 2012

Beginnings and Endings

We have two maple trees in our side yard that I'm afraid are in decline.  The past few years their health has been suspect as they've grown fewer leaves each spring.  This year there are a couple branches full of new little leaves, but for the most part the branches are bare like in the dead of winter.  They are in stark contrast to our weeping cherry in our front yard which is quivering with living pink blossoms and busy bees pollinating.

This makes me think of a certain fig tree which, found not bearing fruit, was pruned.  It's life, though.  Even in my day to day routine, things need to be pushed aside, or "pruned" to make room for new priorities.  A new baby is a great way to shake things up. 

It's no different with nutrition.  Juicing every day not only made us find counter space for this enormous appliance, and fridge space for all the produce.  But also, when I fill my body with veggies, I'm putting less of other stuff in.  For me, it's afternoon snacking that has been "pruned" and replaced with raw juice.

Keeping Priorities Straight:
2 branches kale
2 radishes
1/2 english cucumber
2 stalks celery
1 apple
1/4 pineapple

2 comments:

  1. I wish I was brave enough to try this! All your recipes sound sooo delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can completely relate! I am the furthest thing from an "adventurous eater". The first time my mom juiced for me I was so trepidatious...and it was just carrots and apples! (Delicious, by the way.) It was more than a year before I tried another juice. It definitely has been a gradual move to braveness. :)

      Delete